Military Resilience Research Study
Impact of Military Operational Stress on Performance
To better understand what predicts mental toughness. Our goal is to identify a set of characteristics that can help predict a high level of performance under military operational stress.
Who may participate
We are looking for men and women who:
• Are Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard Service Members, or Recently Separated Service Members (<2 years)
• Are 18-40 years old
Procedures will take place at the following locations:
- Neuromuscular Research Laboratory (NMRL)
- University of Pittsburgh’s School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- In the South Side neighborhood of Pittsburgh
- Sleep and Behavioral Neuroscience Center (SBNC)
- Located in the research wing of UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital
- In the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh
Study procedures include:
- 5 consecutive days and nights in Pittsburgh
- Day time activities will include military specific tasks, e.g., marksmanship testing, ruck march, and virtual reality of military scenarios
- 3 nights will be normal sleep (2300-0700), 2 nights will include sleep disruption
- 2 days will include food restriction
- Across all days questionnaires, computer-based tasks, and physiological measures will be performed, including blood draws
- Procedures will be conducted in teams of 2-4 people
Total compensation for completion of the entire study is $1,025 per person. Parking and all meals are provided.
Benefits and Risks
There may be no known benefit for taking part of this study.
Risks of participating include but are not limited to:
- Sleepiness due to sleep disruption
- Fatigue and muscle soreness due to physical exertion tests
- Bruising or soreness at site of blood draw
***All information collected will be completely confidential and will not enter medical or military records.
Since multiple people will be doing the study at one time, confidentiality related to study participation will be limited with a group.
If you would like more information or want to find out if you are eligible to participate:
Available Study Dates
Check out the Calendar tab at the top of our page or contact us for more available dates!
*All images were posted with participant permission